RESTORATIVE SERVICES SPECIALIST
Youth & Diversion Services
Team: Youth & Diversion Services
Reports to: Restorative Services Director
Pay Rate: Established in offer letter
Service Area: Gunning Bedford or George Read Middle School
Travel Req’d: Regular, throughout School District
Position Type: Full-time, exempt
Role and Responsibilities
The duties listed below are intended as examples of the types of work that may be performed by the Restorative Services Specialist but are not all necessarily performed and do not include all specific functions and responsibilities that the Restorative Services Specialist may be expected to perform.
- Serve as the main program staff for Youth Division Services School Offense Diversion Program in School at the school they are assigned to. Receive referrals from school staff and students requesting restorative conferencing for incidents that happen within the school, coordinate restorative conferences for those impacted by the incident, and provide specialized services to students and families through structured supportive case management and referrals to other services.
- Facilitate curriculum one on one or in small groups for students based on their needs and Accountability Agreements from their restorative conference.
- Meet with youth and their families in a variety of settings, including home and school or other community locations; establish trust and rapport with youth in a community-based role to assess family support needs and assist youth and their families with understanding and accessing services available to them.
- Be actively engaged in the life of the school as assigned, such as assisting with welcoming students as they enter the building, assisting with lunchroom supervision, attending staff meetings, school wide events to build relationships with students and staff.
- Establish and maintain community referral network.
- Safeguard program integrity by maintaining high standards of confidentiality, service delivery, and timely reporting to clients, professionals involved with the youth, and the Restorative Services Director.
- Collaborate with stakeholders such as the school administration, teachers, district staff, and other community-based agencies on behalf of the clients and DCJ.
- Represent DCJ and its programs at community meetings (school board meetings, funder meetings, and meetings of other systems impacting youth), reporting back regularly to the Youth & Diversion team.
- Demonstrate a professional demeanor in all interactions with clients, coworkers, and the community.
- Participate in Youth & Diversion Services Team Meetings and work with team members to promote and grow Victim Offender Mediation Program-funded projects.
- Accept and perform other work as assigned.
Qualifications and Education Requirements
- Knowledge and experience related to justice-involved youth, the systems impacting them, and the resources available to them required. Bachelor’s Degree in human services, social work, or a related field also required.
- Knowledge and experience of Restorative Justice/Practices a plus. Lived experience within the criminal legal system welcomed.
- Background checks and clearances required as per program contract(s).
- Basic computer skills, including but not limited to the use of Microsoft Office, as well as Zoom/Skype and other distance meeting resources.
- Ability to multitask and work both independently and with supervision, on-site and remotely.
- Embrace an understanding of justice involvement that acknowledges the impact of institutional racism and the systemic oppression of BIPOC, women, and LGBTQ+ people; must share the belief that people can change in positive ways.
- Must embrace teamwork, have a strong work ethic, be a self-starter with a positive attitude, with a good sense of humor.
- Strong team building, organizing, writing and other communication skills are essential.
To apply please submit your cover letter and resume in the appropriate boxes below. If you are experiencing difficulty submitting your cover letter or resume, or have questions about the process, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org