Family Engagement Specialist
Team: Youth Reentry Services
Reports to: Youth Reentry Program Director
Pay Rate: Established in offer letter
Service Area: Statewide
Travel Required: Regular, mostly New Castle County
Position Type: Full-time, exempt
Role and Responsibilities
The duties listed below are intended as examples of the types of work that may be performed by a Youth Support Specialist but are not all necessarily performed and do not include all specific functions and responsibilities that the Family Engagement Specialist may be expected to perform.
- Provide comprehensive case management and support to families of the youth participating in Delaware Center for Justice (DCJ) Youth Reentry Services.
- Assess family support needs and connect to appropriate community partners.
- Coordinate services and actively place participants at relevant housing sites/programs, employment sites/programs, social service programs, or other relevant services.
- Establish and maintain community referral network.
- Assist families with understanding and accessing services available to them.
- Maintain regular contact with Youth Reentry team regarding service coordination and attend regular team meetings to discuss client needs or concerns.
- Meet with families in a variety of settings, including office visits, home and school visits or other community locations; establish trust and rapport with youth in a community-based role.
- Collaborate with stakeholders such as residential staff, probation, other professionals involved with the youth, and other community-based agencies on behalf of the clients and DCJ.
- Asses and report on client progress and participation at regular intervals.
- Track and update client information using database program.
- Accept and perform other work as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS and Education Requirements
- Flexible schedule; some evening and weekend hours required.
- Must have a strong work ethic, a positive attitude, and good sense of humor.
- Must express a basic belief that people can change in positive ways.
- Documented history of work experience involving youth in a professional or nonprofessional capacity.
- Strong interpersonal, communication, organizational and writing skills are essential.
- Ability to motivate and establish therapeutic alliance with clients.
- A Bachelor’s degree or relevant work history is required; a Master’s degree in human services /social work or other related field is preferred.
- Five years’ experience performing case management is desirable.
- Computer literacy required (ability to compose and send emails, draft client case notes, use an
- internet-based database system, compose documents in Microsoft Word, and perform basic internet research).
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Ability to multi-task and effectively manage work at different sites (in-office and off-site).
- Must have a valid Delaware Driver’s License.
- Use of personal vehicle required.
- Ability to obtain DSCYF background clearance per contract requirements.
To apply – submit your cover letter and resume in the appropriate boxes below. If you are experiencing difficulty submitting your cover letter and resume, or have questions about the process, please contact us at Apply@dcjustice.org.